Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
February 27 - March 18, 2018
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is one of Houston’s signature events and lasts roughly 20 days long. The Houston Livestock and Rodeo is the world’s largest live entertainment and livestock exhibition. It is currently held at NRG Stadium (previously hosted in the Astrodome). Over 2 million people will attend the Houston rodeo, roughly averaging 100,000 people per day over a two week period.
The Rodeo Experience includes:
- Go Texan Day: The Friday before the Parade is known as “Go Texan Day,” where the entire population of Houston is encouraged to dress in Western attire as one of the many Rodeo’s traditions.
- World’s Championship Barbecue Contest: The World’s Championship Barbecue contest is the opening, three day event leading up to the rodeo.
- The Rodeo: This showcase features the finest rodeo athletes events including: Tie-Down Roping, Bareback Riding, Team Roping, Saddle Bronc Riding, Steer Wrestling, Barrel Racing, Chuck Wagon Races and Bull Riding.
- The Calf Scramble: This event features 30 students attempt to chase and to catch 15 calves. Each student who catches a calf is awarded a $1,500 certificate to purchase a registered beef heifer or market steer to show at the Houston Livestock Show the following year. If the student returns and program requirements fulfilled, the student will received a $250 bonus. This program is to support youth in Texas and encourage agriculture enterprise.
- Mutton Bustin’: These are the youngest rodeo contestants, a determined group of 5 and 6 year olds spring out, clinging onto a sheep or mutton for a thrilling ride. The winner is the rider who holds on the longest and receives a champion belt buckle.
- Livestock Show: The Houston Livestock show draws thousands of Texas exhibitors to compete in the World’s largest livestock show with various activities for the family:
- The Junior Show includes participants between the ages of 9 and 18 with events that include: Breeding beef heifers, breeding gilts, breeding sheep, dairy cattle, market goats, lambs, steers and turkeys. The junior show includes the calf scramble winners.
- The Youth Show features students between 8 years old and 19 years old, who must be enrolled in a Texas school to be eligible to participate. Events include: Cattle, Dairy goats, Boer Goats, Llamas, Alpacas, Breeding Rabbits and Meat Pen Rabbits.
- The Open Show: From across the U.S. and Texas, exhibitors comes to the Houston Livestock Show to vie for a championship title. Events include: beef cattle, dairy cattle, llamas, alpacas, rabbits, cavies, sheep, goats and sheep dog trials.
- Horse Show: Houston’s Premier Horse Show features top-horses, various competitions and events as well as two AQHA World Championship shows.
- Performers: Every year the rodeo has drawn some of the world’s biggest recording artists, including: Kiss, Taylor Swift, George Straight, Brooks & Dunn, Selena Gomez and Beyoncé.
Beyond the Livestock and Rodeo
- Carnival: the Houston Livestock and Rodeo also features a extensive carnival grounds including La Grande Wheel (the largest portable Ferris wheel in the Western Hemisphere) to kiddie rides.
- Dining: All types of food can be found, from traditional barbecue to fine cuisines.
Royal Sonesta Houston Rodeo Offers
Royal Sonesta Houston offers the urban cowboy the perfect place to saddle up for the night after a day of shopping and an evening of stampedes and serenades at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
Rodeo RoundUp Hotel Package*
*Package available for travel through March 18, 2018
Special Offer at Axis Lounge - 50% off Texas Craft Beer
Show your Houston Rodeo ticket at Axis Lounge when ordering a beer from the Texas Craft Beer List and receive 50% off any menu item* Thursday-Saturday through March 17th.
*Axis Lounge special offer valid Thursday-Saturdays until March 17, 2018. Offer is limited to 1 per person and excludes 44 Farms Steaks.