Find & Book Egypt Hotels & Cruises
Whether you would like to stay in a luxury five-star resort, or explore the landmark temples, tombs, and ruins as you sail through the Nile, the Sonesta properties will make you feel pampered throughout your stay. Our 5-star hotels in Egypt are thoughtfully designed to delight every kind of traveler, whether you are on a solo adventure or group tour. Explore the historic and natural wonders of the land from our conveniently located resorts or on Sonesta’s luxurious Nile cruises.
Select a Category to View Topics
We love your questions. Here, you’ll find some of our favorites and their respective answers. Begin searching by typing in the search bar or selecting from the categories below.
Egypt is a popular destination among history buffs, adventurers, as well as travelers on vacation looking to bask in the sun, enjoy sandy beaches, diving, and snorkeling.
As much of Egypt’s ancient history is recorded in awe-inspiring temples, for history buffs and adventure seekers, we recommend touring the sites along the Nile River.
- Start in Cairo and tour the famed pyramids of Giza guarded by the mystical Great Sphinx
- Stop in Luxor to explore the well-preserved Karnak and Luxor Temple complex built in the 2nd century BCE
- Finish your tour in Aswan, home to the Philae Temple and Nubian Museum
Sonesta hotels are located in all three historic sites, offering a truly immersive experience for your Egyptian adventure.
Enjoy prime locations and magnificent views at our Egypt hotels:
- Sonesta Hotel, Tower & Casino – Cairo located at 3 El Tayran Street, Nasr City, Cairo, EGY 11371, only 15 minutes from the Cairo International Airport and the walking distance from the Cairo International Convention Centre
- Sonesta St. George Hotel - Luxor located at Corniche El Nile Street, Luxor, Luxor Governorate 81765, along the Nile River
- Sonesta Nouba Hotel Aswan located at Aswan, Corniche El Nile Baharive, Abu El Rish Qebli, Qism Aswan, with breathtaking views of the Nile River
Egyptian Arabic is the official and most widely spoken language in Egypt. English is taught in schools and is considered a secondary language that is most commonly used for tourism purposes.
The official currency of Egypt is the Egyptian Pound. Credit cards are accepted at most hotels, restaurants, and upscale shops. There are also ATMs available at hotels and outside major banks dispensing local currency.
Citizens of countries in North America are required to obtain a visa prior to entry. Typically, a renewable 30-day visa will be issued. Obtaining a visa upon arrival at Cairo International Airport is also possible. A valid passport is mandatory. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date you expect to leave Egypt.
The best time to visit Egypt would be during the winter months, from October to April. The temperatures are mild and pleasant, although evenings can become quite cool. December through January are the peak tourist months so expect large crowds if travelling at this time. The best time to enjoy the beaches, without having to endure the large crowds of summer tourists, would be from March to May. Temperatures at this time are warm and tourist sites are not too crowded.
Trains, buses, and taxis are the most common ways for tourists to travel between the cities in Egypt. There are also self-drive cars available that can be organized by your travel professional. Small or private tours are conducted in vans, sedans, and tourism vehicles.
Egypt is most definitely a good place to visit on a family vacation. It offers a number of museums where you can view ancient Egyptian artifacts and many more piece’s representative of Egyptian history. Ancient tombs, temples, and pyramids are generally accessible to all ages. If looking to relax, Egypt also offers a number of beaches, ideal for rounding off your Egypt family vacation.
According to government law, Egyptian citizens are required to present a marriage certificate.
Foreign guests can check into the hotel without a marriage certificate or as unmarried couples.
Egypt is not as accepting of LGBTQ rights as some other nations in Africa. Conservative beliefs still prevail, and homosexual acts and gender diversity, while not technically illegal, are prosecuted under more ambiguous laws. Police crackdowns and entrapments have been reported. All visitors should maintain an understanding of cultural sensitivity regarding the issue. Regardless of orientation, discretion should be practiced in sites of antiquity as well as during day-to-day touring.
Light fabrics like linen, cotton and athletic gear made to take the heat are best. Just remember to cover up from your shoulders to below the knee. While women are expected to dress more conservatively than men, even the fellas should leave the short shorts and tight singlets at home.
Must-pack items for Egypt"
- Long, baggy skirts and/or pants.
- Long-sleeved t-shirts.
- Bathing suit.
- Wide-brimmed hat.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- A scarf or shawl for women to cover their hair when visiting mosques.
- A light fleece or jacket it traveling outside of summer.
There are no compulsory vaccinations required for Egypt, however, we recommend you consult with your local travel clinic for the most up-to-date recommendations, particularly in regards to malaria prophylactics. Proof of yellow fever vaccination is required if you are coming from or have transited through an airport of a country where yellow fever occurs. Proof of vaccination is also required for travelers coming from or having transited through Eritrea, Rwanda, Somalia, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Yes, we are delighted to inform you that Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor offers:
• Hotel Complimentary upgrade to the next level
• VIP treatments
• Free WiFi
• Special amenities
• Early check-in (depending on availability)
For information on other properties in Egypt, please contact our friendly staff.
Yes, our Egypt hotels offer different benefits for group stays.
- Sonesta Aswan offers 1 free stay: Groups of 15 will be able to add one more group member (lucky number 16) for free. Groups of 15 or more may also be eligible for additional discounts.
- Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor offers special upgrades and a possibility for early check-in (depending on availability), as well as VIP treatments, VIP amenities, free Wi-Fi , and priority for restaurant reservations.
- Sonesta Cairo can provide groups with transportation to and from the hotel.
Please note that group-stay benefits are not guaranteed and may depend on availability. To check availability and enjoy your group-stay benefits, please contact the property before booking your stay.
Our Egypt hotels are family-friendly and designed to delight even your pickiest family members.
- Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor offers various accommodations for families, from connecting rooms to spacious, luxury suites.
- Sonesta Cairo offers connecting rooms.
- Sonesta Aswan offers thoughtfully designed hotel rooms.
Please contact the property to enquire about availability as well as additional amenities such as cots and rollaway beds.
Yes, our Egypt cruises offer various types of family-friendly accommodations:
- Moon Goddess offers 4 presidential suites.
- Star Goddess is an all-suites boat
- Sun Goddess is an all-suites boat with 1 Royal Suite, 1 Executive Suite, 2 Family Suites, and 26 Presidential Suites.
- Nile Goddess offers 2 Senator and 4 Presidential Suites.
Certainly! Our hotels in Egypt offer both half- and full-board options which are available upon request, so please be sure to contact the property for rates and bookings.
Please note that our cruises include full board as part of the package.