With significant updates, guests at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel are welcomed by sophisticated and modern changes signifying a reawakening of the hotel’s original craftsmanship fused with modern day San Francisco. Designed for beauty, adaptability and convenience, The Clift is a place that reveals the past and embraces the accelerating pace of the future. The updated ambiance engages traditional touches while enveloping the beauty of San Francisco. With a nod to our iconic past, the hotel’s renovation includes dramatically updated guest rooms, an all-new modern lobby experience, and much more – all in the midst of one of the city’s most dynamic regions.
- Over a century old, The Clift hotel was originally constructed for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915
- The hotel has many years of history, with specific design touches to serve as a nod to the past
- The Clift is home to the famous “Big Chair.” The French embroidery has recently been updated with a modern silver upholstery but the wink to guests remains underneath the chair
- Be welcomed to the hotel lobby with a series of warm neutrals with light driftwood, rich charcoal grays and metallic bronze accents
- Design elements emphasize the original wall textures and original exposed brick
Stay Safe with Sonesta
Learn about the hotel and available amenities for your upcoming stay.
Please note, for the health & safety of our guests and team members, Sonesta hotels require guests to wear face coverings in all indoor public areas.
- Originally constructed for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in1915, The Clift’s new guest rooms were inspired by that very same event.
- 372 stylishly designed rooms, junior suites and suites
- One-bedroom suites or private apartment available
- Separate work and dining areas in all rooms
- Minibar with curated refreshments
- Energy saving environmental controls to reduce carbon footprint
- 50 inch in-room televisions
- STAYCAST™ powered by Google Chromecast, stream content from personal devices to include popular apps like Netflix, YouTube and HBO
- In-room electronic laptop size safe
- Keurig coffee maker with locally sourced coffee and tea
- Large bathroom featuring hair dryer, rainfall shower and magnifying make up mirror
Check-in time is 3:00PM. Check out time is 12:00PM. Early check-in is by request only and not guaranteed. Late check-out must be coordinated with the hotel, as available. A valid credit card is required at check-in.
MINIMUM CHECK-IN AGE
Guests must be at least 18 years of age to check into hotel.
The Clift is a non-smoking property. All guest rooms are air-conditioned and non-smoking. A cleaning fee ($500), will be charged to guests who do not abide by the non-smoking policy.
Our hotel is dog-friendly. Please click here for information on our dog policy.
Our second-floor fitness center, accessible via room key, helps you stay in shape with free weights and cardio machines.
Fitness center occupancy is currently closed due to state requirements.
The Clift offers valet parking for easy access. Valet parking is available 24 hours a day at the main entrance at 495 Geary St. between Mason and Taylor.
The most creative and exciting menus in San Francisco are at The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel San Francisco.
The intimate, art deco-inspired Redwood Room is a San Francisco institution, newly infused with 21st-century elegance. Its glamour and subdued atmosphere are unsurpassed in the city, made more unique by the paneling that is said to have been carved from a single redwood tree. Savor gourmet small plates and Liquid Art cocktails in this soothing bar that redefines “classic.”
Reverting back to its original location in the hotel, The Clift announces a new eatery complete with creative food and drink for any time of day.
- High-end coffee program
- Gourmet pastries and snacks
- Brasserie fare and elevated comfort food
- Wine, beer and cocktails on tap
- And more!
For those times when you’d rather stay in, and for those productive work days when you’d rather not interrupt your pace, it is our pleasure to deliver meals to your room. Savor the delicious offerings of our menus in the privacy of your room.
- Newly renovated function space to include a light-filled general session space with soaring two-story, floor-to-ceiling windows•
- Versatile prefunction space
- High-tech AV functionalities
Sonesta Travel Pass
Sonesta Travel Pass is our guest rewards program that gives you perks, points, privileges and exclusives on top of the warm, friendly service and little extras you'll find at any Sonesta — to make each stay even more rewarding.
Already a member?
Points of Interest
- Union Square
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Embarcadero Center
- Moscone Convention Center
- Financial District
- North Beach
- Nob Hill
- Coit Tower
- Alcatraz Island
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Golden Gate Park
- SoMa District
We strive to make your stay as comfortable as possible and to accommodate the needs of our guests with disabilities. Please contact the hotel if you have any special requests relating to your disability.
- Check-in is 3:00PM
- Check out is 12:00PM
- Total Occupancy Tax is 16.445%, subject to change
- Food and Beverage Event Service charge is 24%
- Event Space Rental tax is 8.5%
- Round trip porterage is $7.50 per bag, round trip
- Credit Cards: American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Diners Club
The Clift Royal Sonesta Hotel
495 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
United States of America