Museums and Historic Sites

Gate of the city

It is the Gateway to the city, it represents part of the Escudo de Loja, where you can see a medieval castle, through which you can access the city center. The entrance itself, is made up of the Bolívar Bridge that passes over the Malacatos River, a castle and the sculptures of Don Quixote and his faithful companion, Sancho. It is located at the door of a striking castle, through which the vehicles that enter the city and cross the Malacatos river, with the feeling that they enter a medieval world. Although the castle is a construction, it is a striking detail when entering the city. Inside the castle, there is a large art gallery, a craft store, and a viewpoint in one of the towers.

Av. Universitaria, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.1 km (0.7 miles)

Plaza of Independence San Sebastián

In the center of this square stands a tower 32 meters high, on top of which is a clock with four spheres and at its base we find four reliefs that indicate the most outstanding events in the history of Loja. The square, located between Simón Bolívar, Bernardo Valdivieso, Alonso de Mercadillo and Calle Lourdes streets, is surrounded by colonial style buildings, with large portals, carved wooden balconies and traditional eaves. They surround the square, old-style buildings, with large portals, carved wooden balconies and eaves.

Alonso de Mercadillo, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.9 km (1.2 miles)

Basilica of El Cisne

It is a Catholic church located in the parish El Cisne in the province of Loja - Ecuador, its construction began in 1930 and ended in 1934, was built to worship the Virgin of El Cisne, whose devotees exceed 5 million faithful to the year that gather in a procession that begins from the temple to the city of Loja where it ends with a Eucharistic celebration in the central cathedral of the city. The sanctuary was enlarged as time went by, until the Canonical Coronation of the Virgin of El Cisne on September 8, 1930, the year when, on the initiative of the Diocese of Loja, the construction of a basilica was planned

Hours: Monday to Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Email: info@santuariodeelcisne.org

Parish of El Cisne, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 71 km (45 miles)

Benjamín Carrión Theater

The National Theater Benjamín Carrión was inaugurated in 2016 within the framework of the 1st edition of the International Festival of Live Arts of Loja. Built in honor of Benjamín Carrión, lojano founder of the House of Ecuadorian Culture. It is also the headquarters of the Loja symphony orchestra.  In addition, it has state-of-the-art technology and all the requirements of a world-class theater, for which it has been cataloged as the largest and best equipped cultural scene in Ecuador.

Salvador Bustamante Celi, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 3.2 km (2 miles)

Gate of the City Museum

The Puerta de la Ciudad Museum was built in 1999, but began its operation in 2001, it rises over the Bolívar Bridge, inside it there are three temporary exhibition halls, the same ones that have hosted local artists , national and foreign who have delighted the community with exhibitions of painting, sculpture and crafts; It is important to note that these exposures are carried out monthly.

Av. Universitaria, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.1 km (0.7 miles)

The Cathedral of Loja

The Cathedral was the first matrix, built of stone and adobe in the sixteenth century according to Juan de Salinas. General Pedro Javier Valdivieso rebuilt it and in 1838 it took the name of Cathedral, being consecrated as such by Monsignor José María Riofrío on October 31, 1895.  It is one of the largest churches in Ecuador, located in the center of the city in front of Central Park. It is eclectic in style, with historicist, neo-classical and Corinthian elements. It has been restored three times, the last one in 2004.

José Antonio Eguiguren, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.6 km (1 mile)

Madres Conceptas Museum

The Hermanas Concepcionistas monastery is located a few meters from The Cathedral, is the second oldest in the country, is one of the first religious buildings of the border city. Built in the late sixteenth century and founded by the sisters Maria, Ana and Isabel Orozco, under the rules of the Portuguese saint Sister Beatriz Da Silva, became the praying heart of Loja. In this space, the traditional Museum stands out, where at least 70 religious paintings, sculptures and costumes from the liturgy of 60 years ago have been preserved, which have become the attraction of hundreds of tourists from Loja, Ecuador and the world.

10 de agosto entre Bernardo Valdivieso y José Joaquín de Olmedo, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.6 km (1 mile)

Museum of Archeology and Lojanity

The Museum of Archeology and Lojanity is located in the facilities of the Technical University of Loja, created to rescue and promote Loja and Ecuadorian culture. On November 9, 2004 opened its doors to the public, shows the process of artisanal, archaeological, social, economic, political development and everything that can be reflected in a collection of instruments and utensils of 17 Ecuadorian cultures. The museum preserves the essence of educational work, issuing a message through a cultural and historical context of the pieces.

Alto, Calle París, Loja, Ecuador | Distance from the Hotel: 1.6 km (1 mile)

Museum of Music

The Museum of Music is part of the most important Cultural Project of the city of Loja and Ecuador, whose purpose is to rescue the Historical Heritage of the city. The museum exhibits the legacy of a representative number of Lojano artists, from the Renaissance and avant-garde periods of 1890-1940, 1940-1970; containing approximately 7 thousand scores. The main objective of the museum is the diffusion of Lojana music through concerts.

Rocafuerte and Miguel Riofrío | Distance from the Hotel: 1 km (0.6 miles)