Nearby Austin is the proud capital of Live Music, with a vibrant scene serenading or rocking the city every night. But Austin is less known for its museums and other cultural venues. Here’s a sampling of how to experience the famed music up close … and how to look beyond it:
- University of Texas Performing Arts Center – All manner of performances take place in this multi-venue center.
- Paramount Theater – This 1915 theater was once a vaudeville house and movie palace. Today, it presents musicals and plays.
- Austin 360 Amphitheater -Winner of Pollstar's "Best New Major Concert Venue" award for 2013. Austin's premier destination to see the brightest stars in a world- class, open- air amphitheater.
- The Drag- Between 21st and 25th streets on Guadalupe on the UT campus, is considered a hip shopping enclave of clothing, furniture and gift shops and a great "good eats" zone.
- South Congress "Soco"- two to three blocks filled with diverse selection of quirky shops featuring everything from '50s-style furniture to folk art.
- 6th street- Also known as "Austin's Playground" has been a historic street and entertainment district since the 1970's. The street is lined with a total of 57 bars and clubs.
- Blanton Museum of Art – The largest university art museum in the country holds one of the largest private collections of old master paintings and drawings.
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum – The items on display at this fascinating cultural treasure give insight into the mind of the 36th president.
- O. Henry Museum – This small museum is housed in the tiny cottage that the writer rented in the late 19th century. You’ll find fascinating memorabilia here.
- Austin Children’s Museum – The open floor plan of this fun museum leads from one engaging exhibit to another. Fun for all ages!
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum – For those with a curiosity about the great state of Texas, the late lieutenant governor’s museum gathers artifacts and documents from throughout the area.
- Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium – home of the Texas Longhorns college football team
- UFCU Disch-Falk Field – home of college baseball’s Texas Longhorns