Hotel Initiatives Save Money and the Environment
The Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Coconut Grove was one of the first hotels in South Florida to receive the One Palm designation from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and has implemented over 20 green initiatives including water conservation, recycling, waste reduction and energy management. It has since seen savings as a business, beyond just the opportunity to lessen its impact on the environment.
“The Electrolyzer system has reflected a savings in cleaning supplies expense of about 10% overall,” said Curtis Crider, general manager at Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Coconut Grove. “Trash removal savings were closer to 50%, mostly due to reducing the pickup schedule due to overall reduced volume.”
• Building automation systems are used to efficiently control the building’s energy consumption, coordinating HVAC, boilers, chillers and common area lighting.
• Hotel is 100% smoke free.
• Glass, paper, plastic, aluminum cans, cardboard, newspaper, grease, steel cane and ink are all recycled.
• Water coolers with bottled water have been replaced by in-line filtration systems.
• Use air filers with a minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) of 8+.
• Hotel uses 30% post-consumer paper, toilet tissue, and paper towels.
• Guest comment surveys are paperless, conducted via email after check-out.
• Bulk purchasing of post-consumer recycled products as needed.
• Electrocide system installed removing cleaning chemicals from the waste stream for housekeeping and stewarding departments.
GUEST ROOM PROGRAMS:
• Guest room lighting uses energy efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs (cfl).
• To reduce water consumption, low-flow faucets, showerheads and toilets were installed.
• Water efficient washing machines as well as Energy Star rated kitchen appliances are available to guests in suite accommodations.
• Newspapers provided on request vs. to every guest room daily.
• Guests have the option of reusing their bed linens and towels.
• Guests and staff are encouraged to participate in recycling programs for white paper, aluminum cans, plastic containers and magazines.
• Complimentary parking is provided for all Hybrid vehicles.
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami is a green-friendly, 22-story boutique-style hotel, known for its chic and contemporary allure befitting Coconut Grove’s trendy vibe. It is located at 2889 McFarlane Road and just steps away from the fashionable shopping, dining and nightlife of CocoWalk and minutes away from Coral Gables, downtown Miami, Key Biscayne and South Beach. The hotel is a member of the State of Florida’s Green Lodging Program. It offers 205 generously sized guest rooms and suites showcasing sweeping vistas of Biscayne Bay or Coconut Grove, stylish décor, and complimentary Wi-Fi. The hotel is also home to the award-winning Panorama Restaurant & Sky Lounge, known for its Peruvian cuisine.
Discover Sonesta Hotels & Resorts in Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Hilton Head Island, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Sint Maarten (2), Panama, Chile (3), Colombia (4), Ecuador, Peru (7), and Egypt (13). Sonesta ES Suites is a new extended stay hotel brand managed by Sonesta. Each property features rooms with a dynamic work area designed for today’s traveler, locally inspired food and beverage and flexible common space for connecting with others. You will find Sonesta ES Suites in Andover MA, Atlanta GA, Auburn Hills MI, Burlington MA, Charlotte NC, Columbia MD, Dublin OH, Flagstaff AZ, Houston TX, Orlando FL, Parsippany NJ, Princeton NJ, Malvern PA, Myrtle Beach SC, St. Louis MO, Schaumburg IL and Somerset NJ. For more about the Sonesta Collection, visit Sonesta.com or call +1.617.315.9100 or 800.Sonesta (800.766.3782) in the U.S. and Canada.
*High resolution images are available at www.sonesta.com/media for all Sonesta hotels.