The first performance was in 1911, the year in which the Theater was built to commemorate the centenary of independence. This beautiful horseshoe-shaped building was inspired by the “Tacón” theater in La Havana, Cuba, and is one of Cartagena’s most important cultural sites. It host conferences, plays, college student programs, and is also used by local groups for rehearsals. The artist, Luis Felipe Jaspe, painted the mural that depicts a bay in Cartagena which is the only remaining work of this type from the painter. Guided tours are offered describing the theaters construction.