1. Visit Claustros de la Compania; a historical church with incredible carvings and oil paintings.
2. Stroll through the Santa Catalina Monastery, founded in the 1500s and still active today (with 30 nuns in the 5 acre monastery). Visit the cafeteria and enjoy a meal that the nuns prepare.
3. Walk around the Plaza de Armas, a square with arches, beautiful balconies, gardens, and a Cathedral. There are many evening activities and restaurants to enjoy.
4. Go sandboarding in the desert and cover up because you will get sandy!
5. Try MILKY chocolate, made locally in Arequipa. MIKLY is sold all over Arequipa but if you’re looking for a chocolate store, go to La Iberica Chocolate Shop.
6. Eat at the restaurant Inkafe right in the Sonesta Posada for Arequipian and international cuisine.
7. Shop at Pasaje Catedral or El Centro Turistico Comercial de Arequipa for clothing, scarves, and blankets. Arequipa is known for its wool.
8. Take a guided tour of the Museo Santuarios Andinos to see the mummy of “Juanita” and other Inca artifacts.
9. Take a Nature Tour to Ballestas Islands to see seals, sea lions, and local birds.
10. Take a day or overnight trip to Colca Canyon; one of the deepest canyons in the world (13,100 feet deep).